When thoughts cross your mind..write them down.

At times it seems that life sends you messages. These messages cross the past to the present and at times even to the future. It is important that these moments are recorded, you never know when one of these messages may be an answer to something you haven't yet asked.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

One stitch out of place

Have you ever worked on a Cross Stitch pattern? A simple combination of little "x's" stitched onto fabric using varied colors create a beautiful image.

I used to do this all the time.  It was almost therapeutic to move the needle in and out, up and down as the image would begin to take shape. There is a pattern that you follow, with instructions on what color to use, how many strands of thread goes through the needle and even what kind of "x" to make.

I would often get into such a rhythm that I would not realize until several stitched later that I had made a mistake. I had not paid close attention to the pattern, I had not counted the exact number of "x's" on that row, so now my stitched were off and the pattern no longer lined up correctly.

Now in most cases I would be the only one that would know it was off, I could hide it with a different color or just move the next line over a little bit. But in doing so it was marred in some way, no longer perfect. Other cases it was very evident that I had erred in my design, it no longer reflected the pattern I was following.

The choice was to either leave it, knowing it was wrong and justifying the error by saying "It was just one stitch that was off" or "It doesn't really matter that it is different from the pattern".

Or I could go back and remove each incorrect stitch until I was back to where the error took place. I would then start over on that section and making my way across the fabric, the pattern now correct and in line with the instructions provided. The mistake was no longer there, it had been erased.

You probably already see the analogy that is coming.

We are going through life following the pattern set by our Father in Heaven and our Savior and brother Jesus Christ. They provided us with an amazing set of instructions. They are simple and yet detailed. We use many different colors as we make choices each day creating the beautiful image of our lives.

And yes....we make mistakes. We get distracted and wander from the pattern we are trying to complete. We do not pay close attention to the instructions, or where we are putting the needle or even what color of thread we are using.

We can pretend that nothing happened, we can just quietly realign ourselves with the pattern and continue on, but we will always see the "x" that is in the wrong place, or that is the wrong color. And the person who created the instructions and the pattern will also know it is wrong.

Or we can go back to where we made the mistake.... we can confess the error, and sincerely repent by removing it from the pattern of our life. And then we can go forward creating the perfect image according to the pattern of the gospel we are following.

President Boyd K. Packer said " The Atonement leaves no tracks, no traces. What it fixes is fixed, It heals...and what is heals stays healed.

What an amazing gift we have been given. I plan on following the pattern closely and removing any incorrect stitches I make along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment